AU ECSE, AU ACC, BASE Special Education Teacher
Company: Amarillo Independent School District
Posted on: September 24, 2022
These positions receive a one-time $5,000 stipend for fully
Must meet Texas Certification requirements for the position
Provide special education students with learning activities and
experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for
intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Develop or
modify curricula and prepare lessons and other instructional
materials to match student ability levels. Work in self-contained,
team, departmental, or itinerant capacity as assigned.
Bachelor's degree from accredited university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements special
education and generaleducation endorsements for assignments
Knowledge of assigned curriculum; knowledge of instructional
Ability to instruction students and manage their behavior
Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee
process and Individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process
Knowledge of how to adapt curriculum and instruction for special
Lesson planning and presentation skills
Conflict resolution skills
Classroom management skills
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Technology skills as related to classroom presentation and record
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal
computer and peripherals.
Posture: Frequent standing and walking; bending/stooping and
reaching fully above head, pushing, pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions; frequent keyboarding and use of
Lifting: May require regular heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and
positioning of students with physical disabilities, control
behavior through physical restraint, assist non-ambulatory
students, and lift and move adaptive and other classroom
Environment: May work prolonged or irregular hours; attend after
school and night time activities occasionally; work inside and
outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather),
exposure to noise; exposure to biological hazards; occasional
districtwide and statewide travel
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain
emotional control under stress; ability to respond to needs in a
timely manner in a high stress environment
Regular Attendance is an essential function
University/college required student teaching or approved
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Develop and implement lesson plans for in person and virtual
learning that fulfill the requirements of district's curriculum
program and show written evidence of preparation as required.
Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differences in
individual student differences.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodation for individual
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies,
activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect
understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned
and present subject matter according to guidelines established by
Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative
- Present the subject matter according to guidelines established
by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media
consistent with the needs and capabilities of the student groups
- Cooperatively meet and plan with other members of the staff to
implement instructional goals, objectives, and methods in
accordance with district requirements.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify
curricula as needed for special education students according to
guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s)
- Employ the use of technology in the teaching/learning
Student Growth and Development
- Assist students in analyzing and improving methods and habits
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through
formative and summative assessments and track progress through a
variety of methods.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as
assigned and sponsor outside activities approved by the
- Present for students a positive role model that supports the
mission of the school district.
- Create an in-person and virtual classroom environment conducive
to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional
development of students.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Establish effective classroom management and administer
discipline in accordance with board policies, administrative
regulations, and campus management plans.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect
students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in the selection of books, equipment, and other
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication with
students and their parents.
- Be available by phone, email, or video conferencing to confer
with district personnel, students, and/or parents.
- Communicate with students or parents on a regular basis via
phone or video conference, email, or district-approved
- Maintain a positive and professional relationship with all
colleagues, students, parents, and community members through
effective communication both verbally and written.
- Use acceptable communication skills to present information
accurately and clearly.
Professional Growth and Development
- Participate in the district staff development program to
improve job related skills.
- Participate and positively contribute to grade level and campus
- Demonstrate interest and initiative in professional
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and
- Keep informed of and comply with state, district, and school
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and professional
development activities and serve on staff committees as
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Perform such other tasks and accepts such other
responsibilities as may be assigned.
- Comply with state, district, and school regulations and
policies for classroom teachers including the Texas Educator Code
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises assigned instructional
assistants and volunteers.
Keywords: Amarillo Independent School District, Amarillo , AU ECSE, AU ACC, BASE Special Education Teacher, Education / Teaching , Amarillo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!