POSITION SUMMARY: Under indirect to general supervision, the
counselor performs a broad range of counseling functions. Including
provision of individual and family therapies as ordered daily group
therapy for assigned unit(s) and completion of comprehensive
psychosocial. Supports an organizational culture for Service
Excellence and practices the Service Excellence and practices the
Service Excellence Standards to all customer groups
KEY PERFORMANCE FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
I. SERVICE EXCELLENCE
Demonstrates the three service excellence competencies
II. HOUSEWIDE REQUIREMENTS
Meets the organization's expectations regarding house-wide
III. PROVISION OF SERVICES
Provides direct patient services to patients from age 2 to
- Provides individual, marital, family and/or group psychotherapy
and education of a psychosocial nature to patients with various
psychiatric diagnoses; develops treatment plans according to the
age, developmental level and cultural background of the
- Consults with psychiatrists, other physicians or therapists and
staff of other departments. Identifies patient needs and
communicates these to the treatment team.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of therapeutic and
assessment activities in a timely manner and with appropriate
attention to detail.
- Communicates with patients, families, caregivers, significant
others and members of the healthcare team to promote maximum
benefit of care.
- Performs psychological/chemical dependency assessment within
limits of license or under supervision, demonstrating knowledge of
developmental issues as they affect such evaluation.
- Provides comprehensive psychosocial assessments for Pavilion
- Takes a leadership role on the Pavilion unit where assigned and
utilizes appropriate skills in delegating, organizing and educating
- Responds to department needs; flexes time or work location
relative to census.
- Participates in and contributes to the quality improvement
process for the department and institution. Accepts responsibility
for portion of outcome data collection.
- Collaborates effectively with interdisciplinary team processes.
Provides support as needed on inpatient unit where assigned without
requiring specific direction. Cooperates with requests of other
departments such as Medical Records and Business Office.
- Shares creative ideas with interdisciplinary teams and
management with the goal of improved patient care.
- Maintains specialty knowledge in assigned areas.
JOB TITLE: Counselor (MA/MSW)
Maintenance of a Safe Environment:
- Maintains competency in CPR and PMAB for patient and staff
- Assesses risks for safety and implements appropriate
- Provides services in such a way as to meet the fiscal goals of
the organization. Implements value added programs and
- Manages the satisfaction of department customers to include
patients, employees and physicians through effective communication
and appropriate responsiveness to customer issues.
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to communicate at an appropriate level with patients,
families, staff, physicians, support agencies, vendors and
- Ability to evaluate and interpret information and make
- Ability to tolerate prolonged sitting.
- Ability to move from office to patient care areas as
- Must have physical stamina to handle wheelchairs and to assist
functionally impaired patients with transfers and personal care as
- Must have emotional stamina to deal with a variety of stressful
situations including response to complaints, maintaining a calm
demeanor and good judgment under stress.
- Ability to respond to pages, telephone and other auditory
- Quantitative mathematical ability (addition, subtraction,
multiplication, division, standard/metric measurements).
All UHS subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment
of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are
available to all applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are
equal opportunity employers and as such, openly support and fully
commit to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion and
compensation of individuals without regard to race, color,
religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and
sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is
critical to our success.
At UHS and all our subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments
and recruiters are here to help prospective candidates by matching
skillset and experience with the best possible career path at UHS
and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient
and best in class candidate experience. During the recruitment
process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or
personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank
information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not
email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo
Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job posting or job-related
email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting
us at: https://uhs.alertline.com
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, AND WORK AIDS USED:
- Facsimile Machine
EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSES/REGISTRATIONS
BSN or master's degree in a mental health related field. License
as appropriate to training. At least three years clinical
experience. Administrative/supervisory experience.