Patient Care Technician / PCT IMCU
Company: BSA Hospital
Posted on: September 18, 2023
OverviewPatient Care Technician III, PCT Intermediate Care -
Stepdown, Full-Time, Nights -The Cardio-IMCU Department is a 30 bed
patient care Department that is broken into two sections based on
acuity and patient diagnosis: A 12-bed IMCU (critical care
step-down unit) and a 18-bed Cardiology unit. Although this is a
single cost center, the two pieces of Cardio-IMCU will contain
their own admission/discharge criteria. The admission
criteria/patient population will essentially be:
- Cardiology will be admitting patients with cardiac-related
primary and/or secondary diagnosis as well as rule-out chest pain
patients including such patients as non-emergent post
heart-cath/procedure patients, congestive heart failure, atrial
fibrillation, etc. The nurses on this unit will manage some
cardiac-related infusions, such as established Amiodarone,
Milrinone, Bumex, Lasix, Heparin, etc.
- IMCU will care for patients who require a level of care higher
than the inpatient floors can provide, but who do not warrant
admission to the Intensive Care Unit. These patients have a very
wide range of diagnosis, and require specialty medication infusion,
specialty oxygen delivery devices, and continuous monitoring of
vital signs.The staff of Cardio-IMCU will consist of Patient Care
Technicians, Staff RN, Shift Supervisors, and a Manager/Educator.
Each staff member will undergo an exciting and structured
orientation in which they are trained to care for every patient
placed on both the IMCU and Cardiology portions of the unit.
ResponsibilitiesThe Patient Care Technician provides basic patient
care under nursing supervision and observes the patients' progress
to report to the licensed nursing staff (RN and LVN's). The PCT
will assist with patient care and comfort, hygiene and ADL's
(Activities of Daily Living) including bed baths and/or showers,
restroom assistance, nutrition/eating, obtain vital signs, and
collect specimens for lab test. The PCT provides linen changes and
basic housekeeping as needed for the patient, mobility, transport,
and ensures patient safety with prompt response to patient request
and call lights. -Patient coverage assignments are 10 - 15 patients
per PCT based on unit census with some 1:1 patient coverage
assignments as needed. The PCT will assist with the management and
flow of the unit by assisting with admits, discharges,
transfer/transport patients, electronic patient documentation,
answers telephones, collect and delivers specimens.Job Duties
- Work in partnership with the registered nurse to support the
delivery of care in a safe patient environment that promotes caring
- Demonstrate basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate
appropriately and carry out delegated tasks for patients under the
supervision of a registered nurse.
- Document data as directed, and report observations and patient
concerns to the registered nurse.
- Ensure all safety precautions are observed including making
sure call light is within reach, bed alarms are used as
appropriate, side rails are up, bed is in lowest position, seat
belts are in place, etc.
- Obtain and record patients' vital signs.
- Monitor patients and report patients' condition at regular
intervals and prior to completion of shift, and promptly report any
signs or symptoms of concern to appropriate party.
- Ensure accurate documentation of observations and interventions
in the medical record.
- Respond promptly to all call lights.
- Assist patients with mobility and basic tasks, such as bathing,
dressing, eating, and other ADLs.
- Collect specimens for lab tests which may include nasal swabs
and or wound cultures.
- Perform glucometer testing.
- Perform foley and external catheter care and placement.
- Provide basic patient transport.
- Discontinue peripheral IV's.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve IV pump alarms.
- Provide basic housekeeping duties as needed.
- Assist in maintaining a clean, safe, and orderly environment
for patients and staff.
- Assist in preparing and stripping rooms as needed.
- Participate in Purposeful Hourly Rounding and Bedside Shift
Report as directed.
- Perform direct and indirect patient care duties as assigned and
may provide clerical support to assigned unit.
- Maintain unit records and orders/stocks routine supplies for
- Measures and records patients' intake and output and other
measurements in accordance with unit routines and as directed by
- Assists patients with range of motion.
- May perform preceptor duties.
- Performs and demonstrates proficiency in phlebotomy.
- Performs ECG as ordered.
- Aseptically inserts and discontinues Foley catheters and
performs in and out catheterization.
- Performs suture/staple removal and splinting of extremities as
directed by registered nurse.
- May remove patient drains, such as JP drain and or NG
- Change or apply ostomy appliance.
- Independently transcribes orders and schedules diagnostic and
- Coordinates communications and activities; acts as a
receptionist by greeting and/or directing patients, visitors,
physicians and other individuals and groups.
- Participates in performance improvement activities to enhance
and maintain personal and department qualifications and standards
- Other duties as assigned.QualificationsLicenses and
- Minimum 18-yrs of age
- CPR certified from the American Heart Association or American
Red Cross -Qualifications/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
- Nursing student, currently enrolled and in good standing, in
the last year of an ADN and/or BSN nursing program
- Previous hospital based CNA, Patient Care Tech, and/or Medical
Assistant experience desired -
- Acute care setting of patient drains, tubes, and specimen
- Acute care setting of infection control protocols
- Vital signs; manual blood pressure, heights/weights, O2 stats,
I& O calculations, Glucose monitoring
- Ability to recognize important patient observations and
communicate it to the appropriate team member
- Ability to manipulate, position, transfer and ambulate various
size patients both full assist or partial assist
- Basic addition and subtraction skills required
- Computer skills required; accurate 40+ wpm minimum; EMR EPIC
- Medical Terminology a plus
- Prioritize multiple requests
- Multi-task with ability to handle multiple interruptions
- Effective and efficient written and verbal communication
- Excellent front-line customer service skills
Keywords: BSA Hospital, Amarillo , Patient Care Technician / PCT IMCU, Professions , Amarillo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!